Jan 2018


We are anchored off of Princess Margaret's beach. This and Tony Gibbons Beach are two of the most awesome beaches I've seen. On any other island there would be high rise hotels but not here. I've been to Bequia several times in the last 20 years and it gets better each time. The walkway on the edge of admiralty bay has been raised and improved. You can now walk from the ferry all the way to Princess Margaret's beach with out being slammed by waves for slipping on algae coated rocks.
It appears that St Vincent has realized that their foreign money comes in from the Grenadines and not from the main island. There is only one place on the main island that attracts boats or tourists and that is the southern most point called Young Island and Blue Lagoon. The rest of the Grenadine Islands are fill with tourist and yachts. Bequia is a yacht haven and the other islands (with the exception of Canouan, no body would go there unless they were on a golf tour for the filthy rich) are money makers for those that support the diving and yachting business.
Here is a picture of the main street in Bequia. There right side is for cars, the left side is for people.


Sailing injuries

Every time I go sailing the next day I find bruises and sore spots that weren't there the day before. While sailing "shit happens" and you deal with it as quickly as possible. You bang and arm or your leg and you don't notice it at the time. The next day you feel the pain. On my trip up from Carriacou to Bequia we had a great sail, winds just below 20kts and 2ft seas. The heading was great leading all the ways past the lee side of the Grenadines to Bequia. But we did have a few big waves wet the deck. On one instance I was standing on the cockpit seats holding on to the dodger and getting ready to trim the main for the new squall that was coming in to us. My feet slipped off the deck and I went crashing down onto the wench then rolled and hit the other wench. My chins are bruised, my forearms are bruised and I have two bad bruisers on my left and right abs. The forearms and chins have done okay, but the left side of my torso is still bruised and in pain when I move certain ways.
Other than that accident, the sail was awesome!!! Full Gib and reefed main at 6.5kts of speed right on course, even with the current setting to the West.
For the past 4 days I've had pain when rolling over at night. Otherwise it is good. I was clipped in so no chance of going overboard on this (I always clip in).
Hopefully in another couple of days I'll be good as new. I have lots of Vit C with all the citrus fruit in season. A bit of Rum helps as well :)

Puppies are cleared in!!!

Yep, they have walking papers for SVG. We sailed from Bequia this morning and took a mooring at Young Island Cut. Dink took us to Blue Lagoon where we met the vet. She said that I should ignore the BVI about requiring rabies tests every year. I will do that as those test cost lots of $s. We had to go to the vet to get lime and heart worm tests cause our were more the 6mos old. The Gov of SVG drove us to the Vet for the tests and then the Vet drove us back to Blue Lagoon. The Vet test cost, but SVG doesn't charge to import animals. Yeh. Here for a month I think.
Two mega yachts just anchored and are blocking our view of the ocean. One is 135ft the other is 204ft.

Sail to St Vincent

Really nice sailing yesterday. Waves were small and the wind was between 12 and 20kts at 128deg. That wind angle was perfect for scooting up the island chain.
Today I cleared into St. Vincent and tomorrow we are going to Blue Lagoon where the puppies have an appointment to clear in at 11AM. Should be a short 2 or 3 hour sail up there if the wind doesn't shift to the North-East. We may stay one night, but we may sail back to Adm Bay once the puppies are cleared.

Fish Attack

This morning I woke to the sounds of big splashes and noise outside the boat. I got up, poured a cup of OJ and went to the cockpit to see what was going on. There was a huge school of small fish all around my boat and deep down I could see big fish in a broad circle. Every 5 minutes or so the big fish would rise up and attack the small fish. All the small fish would jump out of the water and the big fish would follow them making big splashes. This went on for about one hour until the Boobies showed up. I was hoping they wouldn't shit on the decks. The Boobies starting diving at my boat and that sent all the small fish running and the big fish with them.
Tyrell Bay is really clean water, you can see the bottom (over 20ft where I'm anchored). It is really nice to be in such clear water again.

VooDoo Stick (lightning rod)

The VooDoo Stick fell off the top of the Mast last night. I guess it worked for 22 years, so now we are prone to lightning and St. Elmo's fire. Jupiter likes Elmo cause he is such a nice muppet, and "Elmo knows your name". I don't think I'll put it back up cause it is just VooDoo and Gris Gris. There is not scientific proof that these things work. My mast is grounded to a huge silica-bronze plate on the keel of the boat that should ground a strike, but not really protect all the electronics on the boat. That's why we have Insurance!

Sail to Carriacou

We started by pulling the anchor up in Clarks Court Bay yesterday and then around to the West side of Grenada and up to Carriacou. The South side of the island of Grenada was fun, mostly down wind sailing with just head sail until we reached the airport then a turn to the North. About 1/4 of the way up the winds shifted (this happens when you are on the lee side of the islands). So we motor sailed for a while, then back to sailing once the wind flipped to the East. Two squalls blew of the mountains but on one of them dumped rain on us. The winds stayed steady at about 114deg and would shift either to 80deg or 124deg with the squalls depending on if the storm was ahead or behind us. As we passed I. De Rond, we had to make more easterly at about 56deg, but the squalls kept hitting us and the current kicks in with about 1.7Kts of speed going to the West. So I tried motor sailing again, but the waves are bashing as well. We end up motor sailing but heading at about 20deg, that put is 33deg off our target. As a result I took an extra 3 hours to get into Carriacou vs my worst estimate. I had to pass the Island up and the tack back to makeup about 10 miles of offset. Once in the lee of Carriacou the waves calmed down. I did sail into the anchorage at night, something I don't like to do at all. Dropped the hook, set her with good scope (the winds were 25 to 30Kts at the anchorage) and kept watch for a couple hours to make sure we wouldn't drag, then off the bed for me and the pups.

New mount for the radar is up

Here is a picture, this one uses three u-bolts. This should stay in place!!!
Now I just have to get the rest of the hardware up on that rack.

Delayed departure

We were planning to leave today for Carriacou but the boat had different things in mind. Everything was prepared yesterday. This morning all I had to do was put the generator in the shower, store a couple of seat cushions, run the preventer and then load the dink on the deck. Well at 7:30 AM before I load the dink on the deck, I go down below to close all the bow hatches and they didn't. The clamping mechanism on 3 of the hatches broke. Now for those that have sailed on Music, she has a very wet bow. With 4 to 6 ft waves and 20 Kts of wind I will take spray over the bow constantly on our 6 hour sail. I also expect 4 or 5 waves to put green water over the bow. If the hatches don't close, there is no way to sail the boat and not take loads of sea water into the boat (not acceptable).
So now I'm busy hunting down all the tools and parts I need to repair the hatches. I think I have everything now and will spend the morning fixing them. My weather window may have closed until Wednesday or Thursday as the seas and winds are predicted to increase significantly in the next few days. I'll double check the predictions tonight. If it is not bad, we may depart on Sunday morning, if not we will be here for a few more days.
Ah boats, always something unexpected!

Mega Yachts

There was a Mega Yacht here for the last week and they were jerks with their illegal seadoos and other toys, but yesterday two other MEGA Yachts showed up and made the other yacht owner's organs looks small. These are HUGE yachts with heliports and all the fixings. The smaller yacht left today with his tail between his legs. So now we just have two MEGA Yachts in Clarks Court Bay, Six or more levels to each of these, likely 200ft long or more. Two too many mega yachts, but they are nice looking. Their tenders are bigger than most of the sail boats here. Though I will say they have been polite, while I was varnishing the toe rail of my boat while in Dink, they slowed their tenders (34ft+) down as to not make a big wake… The other yacht never did that.
We are preparing to sail out on Saturday morning… Lots to do and not much time.

Dry days, NO Rain!

I'm did the next round of sanding on the bright work and will lay down another coat of varnish today. Then I can peel the blue tape off the hull in preparation for sailing up island. We will likely spend 6 weeks or so in the Grenadines before heading to St. Lucia and then to Martinique. A neighbor will come over in the morning to help mount the radar pole rack. It will be nice to have that up again. Not sure when I'll get the wind generator back up on the rack as well as the radar. I may wait until I'm on the hard back here in Grenada this summer.
So much to do to get sailing again, but it will be nice to be in crystal clear water again.

New Years Eve on Hog Island

It was a blast. I started at 5:00 with the dog walks on Hog Island and I dropped of the generator that would be used to power the music. After walking dogs and socializing with lots of friends and helping a some get their BBQ fires started, I took the puppies home for a feeding and bedtime. Once done I returned to Hog Island for the night. The music was the usual Sunday live mix from cruisers. But at about 7:00 PM as French Gypsy group came down the beach playing music (accordion fiddle, horns, drums, guitars, etc). They worked their way to Rodger's Beach Bar and played for about 30 minutes. From then on it was a mix of musicians and styles for the night. We even had a "flame" juggler (well he wasn't juggling, but more like holding to flaming oil soaked wicks - spinning and twirling them). The rain hit really hard starting about 10:00 so we all squeezed into Rodgers with the musicians and equipment and kept the party going. The rain let off about and hour later and then it was mostly on and off drizzle. At midnight Secret Harbor Marina started their fireworks not far from us and in the distance it looked like St. David had fireworks going as well. At about 12:30 the Carnage Fireworks started and the high fired shells could be seen at Hog Island. The party broke up at about 2:00 AM. Though there were lots of folks that could not stand straight are walk a line, I only saw two people pass out over the night.