June 2018

Tick Infestation and the lies of the pet industry

The products sold to you by the pet industry do not work… I have had a tick infestation for over 4 months and the ticks love to hand out on my dogs under their Suresto collars and we have moved through may different versions of ADVANTIX (plus etc) none of the crap works. These things are supposed to kill ticks and fees yet every day I pull 30 or more live ticks off of my dogs, most of them feeding in the dogs ears or under their tick collars. Nothing made by these companies appear to work. I have twice sprayed my boat tight SVERN and then cleaned up several days later so we would not die from the pesticide… I have tick spray that I use on the dog every week and we have tick shampoo that is used every two weeks. None of this crap works! I have spread diatom and borax all over the living space hoping that diatomaceous earth will kill these buggers without killing us.

Pickled Okra

Today I pickled a bunch of Okra, I have some of the longer ones left over. I think I'll batter and fry them. I'll be delivering Okra to boat neighbors in the next couple of days. Bread pudding is next. Likely will do than on Sunday morning.

Almost Legal Again

Today I went to get my cruising permit updated (I thought they had issued a 3 month permit, but they didn't). They issued a 3 month visa but only a one month cruising permit. I have to have my visa updated and usually, here in Grenada, you get your cruising permit updated before you update your visa. Well, after some discussion with the customs office they explained why they do not issue more than one month on entry for the cruising permit. Okay I understand their logic. So now I have to get my visa extended (they explained that it expired on the 13th I though it expired on the 18th - sloppy hand writing in my passport). So right now I'm only partly legal in Grenada. This is usually not a problem. I don't expect anyone to show up and separate me from my dogs so that I can be deported. This is a civilized country (UK commonwealth) after all.
On Monday I'll be on the Number 2 bus to the ministry complex to get my visa extended. While in down town St. George, I may have to walk through the market and have lunch. Overall it should be a nice day.
Another tropical wave is expected to hit us Sunday night into Monday (I hope we get lots of rain to help fill my tanks with sweet rain water).

Water Maker Problems

The feed pump has died. This was determined after several different tests with buckets of water and the system at different levels of disassembly. Just sent a note to SPECTRA to see what replacement or repair options I have. I don't think they use this motor any more. The motor is working but the head pump unit that is driven by magnetic coupling is not working.
We will see what there reply is… Now it is 2:30PM time to stop working on the boat and have a beer or rum. The main Cabin is a wreck with all the disassembled part spread out on the dining room table and kitchen counter. Looks like I'll be eating out tonight :)
Hopefully it will start raining again so I can get water without ferrying it from shore.Pasted Graphic 2

The rainy season

I think it has begun. We are getting light showers every few hours since last night. The Island of Grenada will turn green soon. This will be a nice change from all the dead brown and leafless trees.
Here are a couple of pictures the first is the view from the Little Dipper and the second is a shot my sister took form the plane.Pasted Graphic
Pasted Graphic 1

Land Vacation

I have not posted lately cause we have been staying at a house (the Hobbit House) in Egmont Grenada with my sisters. The dogs have been in the house for the last two weeks and I think they like it as much as I like having hot showers every day with unlimited water.
Julie, Joe, Eugenie, and Jolene visited us and rented a house in Egmont. So we moved the boat there and have spent the last two weeks on land with the boat about 100 yards off the house dock. It was really nice to have them all around and the puppies loved it too. Now we are back on the boat and I have a few things to do before I move out of Port Egmont to Woburn Bay.